Wednesday, April 03, 2013

The threat to Montana beer

Update: The bill sponsor tabled it, killing the bill for the 2013-2014 session. Hopefully the same debate won't rise again in 2015. but who am I kidding? Lobbyists and politicians come back to things again and again. For now, the breweries are safe. 

Let's not rehash what I think of Montana's brewing culture. I have written glowing appraisals of beers and brewers in all corners of Big Sky Country.

But not everyone agrees. The Montana Tavern Association doesn't like the way those breweries have become community gathering points, and House Bill 616 would place some strict limits on how breweries could operate. If made law, the bill could limit future growth of breweries and cripple the great taproom culture that has sprouted in Montana.

No one confuses taprooms for bars. Montana places a 48-ounce limit on every individual who drinks in a taproom; three pints and you're done (you can also take home one 64-oz. growler a day). But plenty do.

The wonderful Montana beer blog Growler Fills has done an amazing job of running down the issues and their implications for the state's breweries. Read their work here. They covered it in detail and scope that I never could. In essence, the bill would squash an industry that is growing and draws tourists up north.

I sent a brief note in support of the state's craft brewers. I don't expect anything of my comments for the Montana House of Representatives' Business and Labor Committee, but I could not stay silent:


Dear committee members, 
I wanted to express my opposition to House Bill 616 and its impact on the state's craft brewers. While I am not a resident, Montana is near and dear to me. I have traveled to Montana four times in the past three years and the state's craft brewing industry has been an integral part of each trip. Montana has built a unique craft brewing culture and this bill would stop it cold, maybe even kill it. Most breweries are small businesses and it seems pointless to place them at a disadvantage.  I urge you to take a broader look at reforming the state's alcohol laws rather than penalizing the growing craft beer industry to the benefit of the state's taverns. There is plenty of room for craft brewers and taverns to co-exist. Please reject this regressive bill and preserve a vibrant industry.
Sincerely, William J. Melville

No comments: